Details of our two accommodation options, Fairmont Resort, Leura and The Carrington Hotel, Katoomba with special conference rates is shown on the Venue page
ASP Student Conference Travel Grant
The Australian Society for Parasitology offers all bona fide ASP student members the opportunity for part reimbursement of the costs of attending the Annual Meeting of the Society. The money available varies from year to year but usually covers between 50 and 75% of the Registration, Accommodation and Travel costs. The actual amount of reimbursement depends on the costs of the Meeting and the numbers of students applying. All student members of at least 3 months standing (i.e. applicants must have been a member of the ASP for at least 3 months prior to the commencement of the conference, in this case, prior to 26 March, 2017) may apply for this bursary provided they are enrolled at a recognised Australian University. Postgraduate students are eligible for up to 1 year after completion of their studies. Please note that ASP students receiving an income of approximately $40K will receive the full travel award amount with a sliding scale inversely related to income, means-tested to a max of approximately $80K.
To apply for a 2017 ASP Student Conference Travel Grant download the Guidelines (http://parasite.org.au/awards/asp-student-travel-award/). Once you have read the guidelines to apply for the grant, please register for the conference and complete all the fields in the ASP Students Conference Travel Grants section. If you have already registered for the conference please log in to conftool and under the heading “As participant you have the following options:” select “Edit Your Participant Registration Details” and complete all the fields in the ASP Students Conference Travel Grants section.
To be eligible for a 2017 ASP Student Conference Travel Grant you must have a valid ASP Student membership by 26 March 2017 and meet all of the other criteria. Please apply online through your conference registration by the extended early bird deadline 21 April 2017.
Registration will open from 2pm on Monday 26 June 2017 at the Fairmont Resort. Please direct all registration enquiries to:
Phone: +61 (0)7 42321311
Please indicate on the registration form or contact the Conference Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org if you have special dietary requirements or special requests.
There is no nominated airline for travel to the Conference.
Free buses have been arranged at the following dates and times to transfer delegates between Sydney Airport and the Blue Mountains. Please arrive 10 minutes early so that you don’t miss the bus. If you miss the bus then please make your way to the train station to transport you between the Blue Mountains and Sydney.
- Monday 26th June 2017 1pm Pickup from Sydney Domestic Airport T3, and then travel to Leura & Katoomba in the Blue Mountains. If you are booked to catch this bus then please download the map of where to meet the coach driver who will be waiting inside the T3 (Qantas) terminal at Sydney Domestic Airport, next to Hudsons Coffee which is opposite Luggage Carousel Number 1. If you arrive at a different terminal please walk through to Terminal 3 (follow the signs). The driver will have the ASP logo and there will be a volunteer helping to coordinate. If you miss this bus please make your way to the train station and catch a train to Leura or to Katoomba.
- Monday 26th June 2017 130 pm Pickup from Sydney Central station, and then travel to Leura & Katoomba in the Blue Mountains. If you are booked to catch this bus then please download the map of where to meet the coach driver who will be waiting on Railway Square at Sydney Central Station, this road is parallel to Pitt Street where it changes to George Street and is next to the Countrylink Platforms on the OUTSIDE of the station. If you arrive at a different place please walk through the station to Railway Square (follow the signs). The driver will have the ASP logo and there will be a volunteer helping to coordinate. If you miss this bus please make your way back to the train station and catch a train to Leura or to Katoomba.
- Friday 30th June 2017 745am Pickup from Carrington, Katoomba and then Fairmont, Leura in the Blue Mountains, travel to Sydney Central station and Sydney Airport. Please identify if you are departing at Sydney Central Station, so that the driver can make sure your bags are accessible and that you are on the correct bus.
Free buses will transfer conference delegates between the Fairmont Resort in Leura and the Carrington Hotel in Katoomba daily to match with the conference scientific and social programs, please note the times below have changed so that delegates will arrive on time for the start of the conference.
- Monday 26th June 2017 6pm pickup Fairmont, Leura, travel to Carrington, Katoomba
- Monday 26th June 2017 10pm pick up Carrington, Katoomba travel to Fairmont, Leura
- Tuesday 27th June 2017 800am pick up from Carrington, Katoomba, travel to Fairmont, Leura
- Tuesday 27th June 2017 10pm pickup Fairmont, Leura, travel to Katoomba
- Wednesday 28th June 2017 800am pick up from Carrington, Katoomba, travel to Fairmont, Leura
- Wednesday 28th June 1845pm pickup Fairmont, Leura, travel to Carrington, Katoomba
- Wednesday 28th June 10pm pickup Carrington, Katoomba, travel to Fairmont, Leura
- Thursday 29th June 2017 800am pick up from Carrington, Katoomba, travel to Fairmont, Leura
- Thursday 29th June 2017 10pm pickup Fairmont, Leura, travel to Carrington, Katoomba
Delegates can also arrange their own travel to and from the Blue Mountains by train or car and this will be at their own expense www.sydneytrains.info.
The Fairmont Resort is located just 90 minutes from Sydney by car. Follow the M4 Motorway west from Sydney. At Lapstone, the motorway becomes the Great Western Highway, follow the highway through the mountains, turn left into Scott Avenue where you will see the Leura and Resorts sign. Follow the signs to Fairmont Resort, we are just a 5 minute drive from the highway.Trains depart from Sydney Central Station hourly, exit the train at Leura. Taxis are available to take you to the resort. It takes about 20 minutes to walk from Leura station to the Fairmont Resort.
To reach the Carrington Hotel by train alight at Katoomba Station; walk up the stairs to the shop side of the station; take the pedestrian crossing into Katoomba Street and 50 metres on your right behind the town square is The Carrington Hotel.
There will be no posters on display at the 2017 ASP Annual Conference. The Conference Committee would prefer to give everyone who submitted an abstract the opportunity to talk and not have any posters and so that is why the Committee have decided not to have any posters at this conference. The poster evening scheduled for Tuesday 27th June will now be replaced by the “Highlights and Snapshots” Session and followed by stand-up buffet dinner and a talent night.
Oral Presentations, Contributed papers, Symposia and Plenary Lectures
Audiovisual aids for oral presentations will include computers and data projectors set up to support Powerpoint presentations only. All screens are 16:9 so please adjust your powerpoint slides accordingly. Speakers should bring electronic copies of their presentation to the conference on CD or memory (USB) stick. Plenary lectures will be 45 minutes, including questions, Symposium lectures will be 30 minutes, including questions; and Contributed papers will be either 15 minutes or 5 minutes, with questions taken at the end of all presentations for that session. All electronic copies of conference presentations held by the conference coordinator will be deleted following the completion of the session.
Student volunteers will help staff on the registration desk, assist conference speakers load their presentations and help with other conference activities. Student volunteers will receive free registration for this conference. If you would like to register to become a student volunteer, please contact the conference coordinator by email Lisa Jones the Conference Coordinator email@example.com registering.