Speakers and Sessions
The conference will take place in Leura, Blue Mountains, NSW from 630pm Monday June 26 – Thursday June 29, 2017, inclusive, at the Fairmont Resort Blue Mountains. It will celebrate the best Australian and International parasitology research. The Conference Program is now online https://www.conftool.net/parasitology2017/sessions.php. Our confirmed invited speakers are listed below:
Elsevier Parasitology Lectures
- IJP Lecture – Jacqueline Matthews (Moredun Research Institute, UK)
- IJP Drugs and Drug Resistance Lecture – Ron Kaminsky (Drug Discovery and Parasitology, Germany)
- IJP Parasites and Wildlife Lecture – Christopher Cleveland (University of Georgia, U.S.A.)
Plenary Lectures – Parasitology: An Industry Perspective
- Norbert Mencke (Bayer Animal Health, Germany)
- Vern Bowles (Hatchtech, Australia)
- Aleta Knowles (Virbac, Australia)
ASP Invited International Lecturers
- Carol Sibley (University of Washington, USA)
- L. David Sibley (Washington University in St Louis, USA)
Symposia themes and confirmed speakers
- Toxoplasmosis: Giel van Dooren (The Australian National University, Australia)
- Malaria Control: Tom Burkot (James Cook University, Australia)
- Diagnostics: Graham Robertson (Concord Repatriation General Hospital, Australia); Harsha Sheorey (St Vincent’s Hospital, Melbourne, Australia); Andreas Latz (Novatec Immunodiagnostica, Germany
- Companion Animals: Christian Epe (Boehringer Ingelheim Animal Health, USA)
- Aquaculture: Barry Hosking (Elanco Animal Health, Australia)
- Wildlife: Andrew Thompson (Murdoch University, Australia); Stephanie Godfrey (University of Otago, N.Z.)
- Drugs and Drug Resistance: Kevin Saliba (The Australian National University, Australia); Andrew Kotze (CSIRO, Australia)
- Livestock: Ala Tabor (The University of Queensland, Australia); Peter Rolls (Biosecurity Queensland, Australia); Abdul Jabbar (University of Melbourne)
- Education: Barney Dalgarno (Charles Sturt University, Australia); Jan Slapeta (The University of Sydney); Abdul Jabbar (University of Melbourne)
Evening and Social Events
Welcome Reception, Monday 26th June, from 630pm at The Carrington Hotel, Katoomba. Please join us for a wonderful reception with the Presentation of ASP Fellows, the Presidential Address by David Emery and to catch up with old and new friends. This event is free for conference delegates*.
“Highlights and Snapshots” and a talent show, Tuesday 27th June from 5pm at the conference venue, Fairmont Resort Blue Mountains, Leura. Please join us for the “Highlights and Snapshots” Session, followed by stand-up Buffet dinner and a talent night.This event is free for conference delegates*.
Join us on Tuesday 27th June for the 2017 ASP Annual Conference Talent Show.
- play an instrument?
- make people laugh ’til they cry?
- entertain people with your incredible voice?
Surprise your colleagues and fellow conference delegates with your amazing talent at the 2017 ASP Annual Conference Talent Show on Tuesday 27th June 2017, following the “Highlights and Snapshots” conference session at 5pm at the 2017 ASP Conference in Leura.
Conference Dinner at the Fairmont Resort Blue Mountains, Leura, Thursday 29th June from 630pm. This event is free for conference delegates*. Additional tickets for accompanying persons to attend the evening and social events can be purchased through your conference registration.
*Day delegate registration fee includes attendance at the conference only. Day delegates who wish to attend social events can purchase additional tickets for those events.
The 2017 ASP AGM will take place on Thursday June 29, 2017 from 330pm – 530pm at the Fairmont Resort Blue Mountains. ASP Students in receipt of a 2017 ASP Student Conference Grant are required to attend.
All Early Career Researchers attending the conference are invited to attend the 2017 ECR Event “Careers with Industry” on Wednesday June 28, 2017 from 630pm at the The Old City Bank Brasserie, Katoomba. This event is supported by Virbac and includes dinner which will be a “pizza and beer/soft drink” special. This event is free for Early Career Researchers attending the conference. Tickets must be booked through the online conference registration system.