Speakers and Sessions
The program is available to view online just click on the link that says “conference program” from the conftool webpage https://www.conftool.net/parasitology2018/ and includes an outstanding mix of quality international and Australian scientists under the following themes and confirmed speakers:
ASP Invited International Lecturers
- Kai Matuschewski (Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, Germany)
- Staffan Svärd (Uppsala University, Sweden)
Elsevier Parasitology Lectures
- Nicola Harris (Monash University) International Journal for Parasitology (IJP) Lecturer
- Annapaola Rizzoli (Centro Ricerca e Innovazione, Fondazione Edmund Mach, Italy) – IJP Parasites and Wildlife Lecturer
Pascal Mäser (Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute, Switzerland) – IJP Drugs and Drug Resistance Lecture
Showcase – ASP Kioloa Concepts in Parasitology Course Alumni
- Adelaide Dennis (Australian National University)
- Dominique Marendy (Elanco Animal Health)
- Andreas Stroehlein (University of Melbourne)
- Amanda Duarte Barbosa (Murdoch University)
Drugs and Drug Resistance
- Kathy Andrews (Griffith University, Australia)
Parasites and Wildlife
- Alan Lymbery (Murdoch University, Australia)
- Danielle Stanisic (Griffith University)
Public Health and Epidemiology
- Rebecca Traub (University of Melbourne, Australia)
Public Outreach and Parasitology
- Tony Chiovitti (Gene Technology Access Centre GTAC, Australia)
- Rina Wong (Scientist-Author-Illustrator, Curtin University and Edith Cowan University)
- Jan Slapeta (University of Sydney, Australia)
Download a 2018 Conference Flyer to display in your institution.
Evening and social events
The conference will begin with our Welcome Reception at Encore, St Kilda Beach from 600pm Monday 24th September and the presentation of new ASP Fellows and conclude with the Conference Dinner at Luna Park St Kilda on Thursday 27th September just for some fun, following the ASP AGM, both venues are walking distance from the Novotel in St Kilda.
UPDATE: The ASP Conference dinner 27th September 2018 will now take place at Luna Palace because our numbers have grown. All delegates can enjoy 17:30-19:30 unlimited rides at Luna Park or head to the Spiegeltent from 5.30pm where there will be a cash bar available and then head to Luna Palace from 19:30-22:30 for our informal (seated) Conference BBQ Dinner.
There are two events scheduled at the conference for Early Career Researchers and one for anyone who enjoys a run:
- Tuesday, 25th September, 7:00 – 8:00am “Early Career Researcher Industry Breakfast event” hosted by Virbac. Early Career Researchers who have booked into this special breakfast event will enjoy an audience discussion (Q&A style) with a panel of parasitology industry representatives on stage, hosted by Rob Dempster and Aleta Knowles from Virbac. Bookings have now closed for this event.
- Wednesday, 26th September, 7:00am “Health Kick Morning with Aaron”. Please meet Aaron Jex at the reception area of the Novotel St Kilda Hotel at 7am sharp for a morning jog around St Kilda (if the weather is too bad we will postpone the run until Thursday morning 27th Sept at 7am.) Everyone is welcome to join the run or walk!
- Wednesday 26th September , 6:00pm “Early Career Researcher Media training” followed by burger night evening event in the Ballroom of the Novotel Hotel in St Kilda. Bookings have now closed for this event. Early Career Researchers who have booked into this event will join ASP Executive Secretary Charlotte Oskam and host Sarah Brooker from Science in Public for a “Meet the Press” panel discussion along with our wonderful print, radio and online journalists:
- Ed Gannon, Publisher, The Weekly Times
- Donna Demaio, Senior journalist, 3AW
- Alexandra Hansen, Health and Medicine Editor at The Conversation
“Public Outreach & Education”
- GTAC will be running a School Holiday Outreach Program for Senior Students at the 2018 ASP Annual Conference on Tuesday 25th September 2018. Students will be interacting with ASP scientists as well as conducting hands-on experiments during this program which has been sponsored by Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research (WEHI).
- Interact with the Virtual Reality Veterinary Parasitology Experience by Federation University researchers. This VR activity will be set up at the 2018 ASP Conference during the day on Tuesday 25th and Wednesday 26th September for conference delegates and students involved in the GTAC Outreach program to use. Evan Dekker from Federation University will present about this program during the “Public Outreach & Education” Session on Wednesday 26th September from 5-510pm.
13th National Workshop on Strongyloidiasis
“A One-Health Approach to the Prevention and Control of Strongyloidiasis in Australia”
This workshop will take place on Monday 24th September, 2018 from 800am – 430pm at the conference venue, The Novotel St Kilda Hotel, Melbourne. See http://parasite.org.au/2018conference/program/workshop/ for more information.